Please update your bookmarks. Our current address is: getcoloring.us Old domains will be deleted soon. Spread the word!
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

If you see this message, please make sure that you are using original
TwoMovies website: Two Movies (click here to visit)

How long do you watch before giving up? (761 views)

senior guru
!
(10mo)
How long should you watch what you think is a bad movie before you give up? 10 minutes? 20 minutes? 30 minutes?

My average is 15 minutes, at which point if I don't like what I'm watching why should a keep on? Will it get better?

Some movies start bad but they pick up and get better and then you're glad you didn't stop watching.

But of course what usually happens is you start feeling bored then even more bored and so you debate with yourself whether to stop watching and maybe try another movie. And you're so glad you did because the film you were watching really was a dog (no offence to dog owners).

Anyway, how long should one watch a film? On average what's the best amount of time to give a film before you know whether you're going to like it?

I say 15 mins but maybe that's too long or not long enough?

+5

guru
!
(10mo)
@Crutchbender For as long as it takes to put me to sleep.

+4

senior guru
How long is a piece of string...

But about 30 for me, that's enough time to work out whether what I'm watching is actually a slow builder or not. But I have stayed with some after that time (usually if they are on whilst I'm doing something else) only to be blown away by the last 20 mins.

Worst is when (as happened to me last night) it's clearly a good film but it's foreign and the subs are awful. I stuck with that for 20 mins then gave up.

+4

top expert
20-30 minutes depending on the type of movie. I know people say you should watch a movie to the end to judge it, but it's not like the writer of the movie you're hating will suddenly start writing something you enjoy after 20 minutes. I've never experienced it. And let's say the end was good in some way, I still don't want to wade through an hour of complete cack for an decent end when I could just watch something I enjoy.

+5

master
!
(10mo)
about 15 minutes

+4

top expert
!
(10mo)
Till the end! Then I say to myself, "never again!". But I still do it. smh

There is the odd occasion where I can watch a full non sub-titled foriegn movie and still enjoy it. But usually if there's no subs or they're no making any sense at all? I'll disappointingly cut it and find something else.

And let's face it. Sometimes you've only got enough time for one movie. So by the time you've spent 30 or 15mins on lets say, four so called bad movies? (But you will never know) You could've finished a movie that would've surprised you. Note: they not all good surprises.

So it how you pick you're flicks. Everyone has their preferred genres. But there's also the rating stars I look at. But in saying that, some movies have a one star rate. But it's my preferred genre. So I watch it anyway and come out with a near prefect rating.

I also go into random profiles and check out their favs and if I'm really stumped? I throw a SOS on chat. Or else it's just.... "Do you feel lucky?".

+6

guru
!
(10mo)
@Fakeinternet I'm exactly the same, I'll watch 30 mins of a really bad movie and keep telling myself, it will get better, it will get better, it doesn't get better and immediately I say to myself "well that was a waste of an hour and a half, never doing that again!", only to do the exact same thing a few days later.

+4

top expert
!
(10mo)
@discoballs77 lol... yup, the ole it'll get better mantra haha.
However, I will admit. That there's some really cringe worthy movies on here that I can sort of tell straight off the bat that it's absolutely shiet! Like.. camera quality and acting that don't even deserve to be on a school production to say the least.

You can't sell a good story with bad acting. But you can sell a bad story with good acting.

So in retrospect. Some of my "never again" movies had some really good acting. Which I guess is why I still persevered with it to the bitter end!
Damn all you good actors/resses who are stuck selling Bad Stories!

haha rant over Disco

+4

master
!
(10mo)
Depends what I'm watching and what I'm doing. If I'm sitting there actually watching and invested? 10 to 15 if its bad. Maybe more, depending on how 'bad' it really is.
If I'm doing things? It'll stay on until the end even if it sucks like a black hole. Mostly because of its noise in the background, something to vaguely watch as I go about doing my business, keeping me slightly entertained...

+5

senior master
!
(10mo)
I usually watch about 15 minutes even if it is a good movie but just not grabbing my attention. I love the question though bc I do worry sometimes that I give up to easily on movies. I also hate not finishing what I started...OCD thing I guess. I am a horror movie snob so it really better start up great or I'm done with it. I think it is that I've watched enough movies to know what I like so if it doesn't fit into that category it is history!! Great topic! smiley

+6

master
!
(10mo)
I try to give a half an hour. If I find myself going for coffee without pausing or wandering off to get laundry to fold then I know I have zero chance of making it to the end. Like cramoss said sometimes I just need background noise while I "othertask".

+6

top expert
!
(10mo)
I watch for as long as I am interested but if the storyline is bad, the acting poor or various other reasons I switch off. I also make a point of not writing my thoughts on a film if I haven't watched over half of it in the reviews smiley

+3

admin
I read comments/reviews and watch a trailer.
If reviews are fine, I start watching about 10 minutes.
If a movie sucks - it sucks from the very beginning. smiley

+4

guru
!
(10mo)
Normally 10 minutes, however if there is an actor I like I'll probably watch the entire episode.

+4

expert
!
(10mo)
My wife says I'll watch anything, Not quite! What I hate are movies that start and stop to load, then start then start to reload. I don't know if it's me or the link. i can usually go to the next working link and the problem is solved!

+1

senior guru
!
(10mo)
@Bill45a Thanks for replying. Stopping due technical reasons is okay I guess the question is about stopping if you reckon the film is shaping up poorly.

+2

!
(9mo)
around 30 mins, sometime I try to skip scenes if it is too boring.

+2

senior guru
@askneed Me too.

+1

contributor
!
(1mo)
I really try to read reviews and see if the genre of a movie is my cup of tea, so really it don't happen much, but sometimes a story just does not grab me, or is not the kind of movie I want to be watching at that time. Like a quiet film-noir when you really want a hardcore action movie. Most of the time I decide on the basis of a trailer, and when that is not what it seems to be about 10-15 minutes max. Then I just find something else.

+1

It depends.

I usually watch for about 45 minutes before I decide what to do. Some films I will also watch more than once to give them a fair shot.

There have been the rare exception where the film is obviously filmed on a mobile phone and the actors are not B, they are F quality. I generally will watch those for about 15 minutes and then skip through the rest of the film to see what it's like. I generally do not comment much on those films, other than to let anyone else know about the budget (they are usually micro -- like $100) and the below amateur, film student wanna be quality.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK